The explanations are infinite
Job searching is likely one of the most worrying intervals in an individual’s life, proper up there with a dying within the household, divorce, and sickness. There’s a lot at stake, and it may be irritating. In Austin, the place we’re headquartered, we function a well-liked tech job group the place probably the most common query is “why didn’t I get the job??”
In nearly all circumstances, you’ll by no means actually know why.
Sorry. That’s disheartening, however it’s true. The optimistic facet is that it isn’t all the time your fault. So, we’ve crafted a large record of causes you didn’t get the job interview or job provide that you would be able to be taught from if you happen to learn from prime to backside (we promise this isn’t the identical previous rubbish you already know).
Don’t let this record get you nervous, the thought is that there are infinitely advanced numbers of causes people reject one another, lots of which might’t be helped. Bear in mind, the hiring particular person has so much at stake, so does the employer (it prices so much to rent, onboard, and retain staff), not simply you.
The hiring course of could be inhuman and indignant and your resume goes right into a black gap otherwise you by no means get suggestions after a telephone or in-person interview, however arm your self with as a lot information concerning the course of and keep away from as many objections as doable. We’re pulling for you!
Job searching or profession refining?
It’s the robotic’s fault
1. Do you know that if you happen to apply on-line that your resume goes via an applicant monitoring system (ATS)? And in case your resume didn’t match the job description (that means not one of the key phrases they have been on the lookout for have been used), the robots didn’t even give your resume to their HR human? Take note of job descriptions and tailor your resume to every utility accordingly.
2. Generally the applicant monitoring system (ATS) the place you despatched your utility on-line kicked out a rejection letter with out the hiring supervisor figuring out. It occurs.
3. You set your resume on one generic job search web site that guarantees to ship it to lots of of employers (however is de facto simply there to promote your data to 3rd events). At no level did you apply instantly, via a 3rd occasion recruiter, throughout numerous platforms, and so forth. Making use of on a few of the junk job search websites will not be all the time making use of (we don’t imply Certainly or Cube or respected manufacturers, however the “apply as soon as to a trillion random jobs” platforms – be cynical).
It’s the hiring supervisor’s fault
4. Generally it actually isn’t your fault, the recruiter or hiring supervisor is imperfect. That’s harsh, however you’ll be able to’t assure that particular person will likely be perceptive and even skilled. The overwhelming majority are actually insanely good at their job, however they’re people too, thus they’re fallible.
5. The hiring supervisor is petty and/or shallow and didn’t like the varsity you went to or the purse you have been carrying or the automotive you pulled up in. You’ll by no means know you acquired a secret demerit.
It’s the corporate’s fault
6. Generally the corporate adjustments the job specs in the course of the method.
7. The corporate may need modified in the course of the method. Possibly the CEO is on the way in which out. Or there’s a brief hiring freeze, however they’ll’t say that in public. Or their funding standing is altering. Or the enterprise simply took a giant hit and everybody’s scrambling.
8. They have been by no means hiring to start with and have been utilizing candidates for advertising and marketing concepts or free labor. It’s a sick observe that some firms commit.
9. Somebody that now not works there instructed you to begin as a contractor they usually’d contemplate you FT after 90 days, however it was by no means in writing and nobody is aware of what you’re speaking about and your contract is up and it’s not going to be renewed. You didn’t actually get the job, amigo.
10. Your interview with the Chief Hug Officer about what number of stars you give your self as a frontrunner wasn’t the suitable variety of stars they usually didn’t need to hug you in spite of everything. Or your telephone interview with the 18 yr previous social media intern the place you couldn’t identify any Marvel characters rubbed them the fallacious means. Firms have distinctive interviewing strategies that contain people, and a few are simply plain foolish.
11. The corporate’s not prepared to simply accept your kind of Visa or citizenship standing.
It’s timing’s fault
12. There was a candidate interviewed earlier than you utilized that they actually like and are ready for a suggestion acceptance from. And now they’ve stated sure and also you’re out and unhappy, and I’m sorry.
13. Another person took precedent (an inside rent, an ex-colleague, or somebody the CEO stated they know and is the brand new rent it doesn’t matter what).
It’s another person’s fault
14. Somebody unexpectedly gave you a foul reference and you might by no means learn about it.
It’s your fault
15. Let’s begin with the plain repetitive junk you already know – you’ve a foul resume or cowl letter. There are crimson flags, incomplete data, grammar errors, it’s too lengthy or to brief, tremendous generic, and/or by no means expressed the way you impacted any firm’s backside line.
16. You couldn’t reply fundamental questions (“why did you allow your final job?” or “why have been you solely at X place for Three months?”). Otherwise you answered any variety of interview questions poorly. Otherwise you have been requested to critique one thing concerning the firm and also you wailed on their shortcomings slightly than provide a optimistic, adopted by a significant critique with actionables, closed with a optimistic.
17. You made a mistake in your utility (you labored at Google from 1904-2006?) otherwise you straight up lied. Some firms do fundamental employment checks previous to requesting an interview, so that you higher get your story straight from minute one.
19. You’re not a tradition match. However wait, it’s not what you suppose – you’re not unlikable, they’re simply on the lookout for a puzzle piece. Their division could be in chaos or the there’s already an A-type on the small group. Hiring managers take care of actually advanced conditions and it isn’t private if you happen to’re not the best puzzle piece, regardless of your unbelievable pedigree.
20. You raised main authorized crimson flags. Nothing says you propose to sue like vaguely saying “I’ve schizophrenia, is that going to be an issue?” or “I’m unsure working for a male boss is an effective match, do you’ve somebody I can reply to that’s feminine?” or “what’s your coverage on intercourse within the office?”
21. Talking of authorized crimson flags, you set your image in your resume which tells delicate employers “I’m doing this so later I can say I didn’t get the job due to my [gender, race, etc.]” Discrimination isn’t any joke. It occurs, and also you don’t need to put an employer in an uncomfortable state of affairs – your image’s already on LinkedIn. That suffices.
22. To “the place do you see your self in 5 years?” You stated “in your job” to be intelligent or “President of the corporate” with out rationalization. Come on, folks. The way you reply that demonstrates your intent on longevity within the firm, your willingness to maneuver up, your want to be a frontrunner, not supplant your interviewer.
23. You utilized to mainly each position within the firm and now they take you critically for none.
24. You utilized for a Senior-level position while you’re barely entry-level.
25. You requested nothing concerning the firm or position throughout the interview. That is sadly frequent and really easy to repair.
26. You knew nothing concerning the firm throughout the interview. Do your analysis, folks.
27. You failed a required technical check or psych profile and there actually isn’t any getting back from that. Goal necessities are simply that – goal.
28. Your work historical past is unstable, too brief to be relevant, and/or stuffed with holes you’ll be able to’t (or didn’t) correctly clarify.
29. You’re lacking a certification or training degree the employer needs (both publicly or secretly).
30. You’re too educated – your PhD is scaring them into pondering your wage calls for would possibly quickly improve even if you happen to’re at the moment amenable to minimal wage. That is based mostly on infinite research and experiences of individuals settling – they don’t stick round for lengthy.
31. You forgot to incorporate your persevering with training (coding programs, skilled management retreats) since you thought they have been irrelevant. They’re not – they present that you just take initiative and wanting to all the time be taught extra.
32. You ghosted sooner or later or have been gradual to reply.
33. You arrived (or known as) means too early or means too late.
34. You have been impolite to the receptionist.
35. You have been overly acquainted throughout the interview since you’ve completed a lot analysis and really feel like you already know the corporate so properly. This trait says you’ll be an unruly group member and can possible disqualify you. Be a professional, even when you already know the hiring supervisor personally – the rest is disrespectful.
36. Somebody random within the firm met you at a networking occasion 10 years in the past and when politics got here up you known as them a moron. They didn’t overlook, and also you’ll by no means understand it was even an element. Nevertheless it may need been.
37. You briefly dated the hiring supervisor’s dramatic finest good friend and over drinks, you come up and he or she tells horror tales about you – you’ll by no means be taught this was the explanation, however critically, it’s doable.
38. You have been sweaty (if that’s an issue, put on a sweat-wicking shirt below your prime).
39. You had a scent – both physique odor or an excessive amount of fragrance/cologne/axe deodorant.
40. You had a limp or overly aggressive handshake – some persons are actually delicate to that and you might culturally offend somebody.
41. You checked out (or stared at) your telephone throughout an interview when it wasn’t ringing. Or your smartwatch.
42. You weren’t memorable – some persons are simply boring or attempt to be overly calm. Bear in mind you’re connecting with one other non-robot human, so attempt to be at the very least human.
43. Your desperation permeated the whole course of. They may scent it on you and it wasn’t interesting. Why? As a result of they know you’re going to take the job so you’ll be able to pay lease, however you’ll nonetheless be job searching they usually’ll lose you shortly, so why hassle?
44. You reside within the fallacious place – they could be unwilling to pay for relocation and will display accordingly.
45. Wage negotiations went awry. They demanded your earlier wage and also you refused or they didn’t just like the quantity otherwise you’d completed too little or an excessive amount of wage analysis, or possibly the job itemizing stated a variety and also you demanded triple (or they supplied lower than the vary).
46. You requested questions on the fallacious time – don’t lead with “so what are the advantages and the way a lot time do I get off?” Wait till you already know that they such as you already. Asking pay as the primary query, though an important, can disqualify you. This can be a delicate dance.
47. You failed some easy (in all probability silly) check like a gross sales position being supplied half wage and being tricked into negotiating their means up, or someplace on the job itemizing it requested you to “Like” their web page on Fb and also you didn’t, who is aware of?
48. You dressed poorly on the interview or have been means overdressed.
49. When requested if you happen to’re an evening particular person or morning particular person, you didn’t say you’re versatile, you stated you’re horrible at mornings, and now this firm that’s actually severe about productiveness beginning at 8:00am, is now not taken with you.
50. You fidgeted or shook throughout the interview.
51. You have been awkward throughout the interview, possibly you held your bag in your lap or stored your winter coat on.
52. Your nerves acquired the most effective of you – you spoke too shortly or quietly or couldn’t cease saying “like” or “umm.”
SIDENOTE: Being introverted or socially anxious is a problem, so throughout an interview, gently specific that so it’s not misinterpreted. “I do are typically introverted, however I would like you to know that I’m obsessed with this chance even when I sound a little bit shaky and nervous.”
53. You didn’t thank the interviewer (or act ) at any level.
54. You despatched an extravagant thanks present to the hiring supervisor that disqualified you because it seemed to be a bribe, not the type gesture you meant for it to be.
55. You adopted up too quickly and too steadily.
56. You have been too cocky or too insecure.
57. You have been too keen and it got here throughout as insincere.
58. Your physique language was off (you used practiced/disingenuous hand steepling, otherwise you slouched, or possibly you couldn’t make eye contact).
59. You have been too scripted – you clearly regurgitated scripts you studied on-line (a great HR professional can see proper via that – they’ve learn them, too).
60. You sneezed into your hand and wiped it in your pants, then supplied it to shake at adios time. Gross, bye.
61. You trash talked a former employer or coworker (or the interviewer’s favourite sports activities group, or their faith, or them).
62. You didn’t giggle on the CEO’s joke throughout a last interview.
63. You shared means an excessive amount of private information – not tales about vacay to humanize your self, however like made positive they knew you’ve irritable bowel syndrome.
64. You have been overly apologetic about your previous slightly than calmly explaining that you just took 5 years off to be a keep at house mother or father, however you’ve stored your expertise sharp by learning [X].
65. You stored speaking about why their competitor is superior.
66. You by accident known as them by their hated competitor’s identify throughout an interview.
67. You stored calling the interviewer “Jacob,” however his identify was all the time “Jason” and now he thinks you’ll be able to’t have a tendency to straightforward particulars (or is simply butthurt).
68. You’re making an attempt to pivot from one trade to a different and also you do a poor job of explaining that in any means, you simply hoped you’d get an interview (however it doesn’t work that means).
69. You’re painfully ugly or overly sizzling. Sorry, it’s doable.
70. You’re overqualified and which means you would possibly go away when a sexier provide comes alongside.
71. You’re underqualified which suggests they’ll need to pay in your studying curve (which they gained’t).
72. Your credit score is terrible and also you’re making use of to a extremely regulated trade like finance or legislation enforcement, which can maintain you again.
73. You didn’t know that your felony or credit score historical past would possibly not be a disqualifier so that you didn’t even attempt. Generally firms are open to sure sorts of offenses, or you’ll be able to clarify the sickness within the household that destroyed your credit score.
74. You failed a drug check – this is likely one of the few situations the place you’ll know what occurred.
75. You pressured them on social media (you began “IBMShouldHireMichael.com” or began #IBMHireMike and had buddies apply it to Twitter endlessly, which is intelligent and has a slight probability of working if making use of to a digital media position, however nearly all the time simply comes off as annoying and overly aggressive – not definitely worth the threat). Plus, if you happen to relied on that being your hook they usually didn’t even discover, it was a vastly wasted effort.
76. You’re so hooked on web jargon and slang that you just used it in your resume or throughout an interview (“btw, your footwear are on fleek”). Put it aside in your tumblr, of us.
77. Being cute with movies, on-line resumes in infographic format, and so forth, forces an employer to research you exterior of their regular parameters and will land you within the trash bin. Do these issues as well as to the standard resume requested.
78. Your social media accounts are offensive, stuffed with rubbish, or overly sexualized – lock it down whereas on the job market.
79. You bitched concerning the firm on social media “telephone interviewer at X firm was straight up retarded” — uh what!? This really occurred not too long ago.
80. You didn’t specific curiosity after the interview. In reality, you could have closed with “properly I’ve a number of extra interviews to finish, so I’ll need to get again to you,” hoping to show worth however actually pissing off the employer.
Should you’ve learn this far, you already know that typically it’s you, typically the celebrities simply didn’t align correctly. Generally you’ll get suggestions, however more often than not, your secret demerits will stay locked in somebody’s mind.
However now you already know a few of the pitfalls that you just can repair, so you’ll. You may solely management what you’ll be able to management, the remainder you merely need to let go of.
Let this data empower you, not discourage you.
Good luck throughout your job search, and don’t let the robots maintain you again!
This story first revealed in April of 2017.